Saturday, March 7, 2009

Seoul Weekend and Bukhansan National Park

Two down, eighteen to go!

This weekend was spent in Seoul. It was my first trip to Seoul and it was fantastic!
Ben, Mary, Laura, Matt, and I left early Saturday morning from Daejeon. We took a KTX Train, which is the bullet train, and took only an hour.
First we went to Gyeongbokgung Palace. Where we saw the changing of the guards ceremony, and walked among pavilions, sleeping quarters, and temples.



How could I resist really?!

How could Mary resist!?

Ben, Mary, Matt, Me, and Laura.


We head to Insadong, an artsy area in Seoul for some tea, and shopping among the streets of semi-traditional korea.


Then in the evening to warm our bones and fill our tummies, we head into Hongdae. We ate, drank, and were merry...but not so merry in the morning when we woke up at an unholy hour after a night of drinking to go on a hike.
Laura, Ben, and David.

Mary and I enjoying drinks in the street bought from a convenience store.

We stumbled upon a band playing in the street...they were awesome and had a chick that sometimes got up to dance wildly...awesome.


Matt and one very sexy poster found on the ground...surrounded by many others of similar content.

So in the morning, Mary and I were worse for wear, the boys were not in their prime but definitely weren't hurtin' as much as we were. Nonetheless, Mary and I are troopers and hard core so we head straight for "big mountain", Bukhansan National Park. Bukhansan is smooth granite with many different peaks. The one we chose to climb was fairly tame, but probably more tricky given that I was not feeling my best. We brought kimchi and kimbap for lunch, and stopped half way up to regroup and refill our tummies.





Nearing the top, things got more hands on, meaning climbing on all fours or using ropes or handrails. By this time I was feeling much better than first thing in the morning and this was a welcome part of the hike. We climbed to a ledge on the granite slope and stopped to enjoy our view, and relish in the beauty of the mountain and that which it provided us.




Making it to the top provided yet another beautiful view, this time a panoramic one, and one of epic proportions at that. Being the second national park that I have visited in Korea, I am still in shock at the stunning landscape Korea has to offer, and being at the top of that gorgeous mountain I still can't believe I'm here. but...I AM AND I AM LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!



Thanks everyone for a beautiful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment