Thursday, November 24, 2011

Honour the ordinary with Thankful Thursdays V.1

I got home from work this evening around ten o'clock, honestly hoping to have a new episode of Greys Anatomy to watch, and it wasn't on tonight because it is the American Thanksgiving.  So being one of the only tv shows i watch and instead of finding some other mindless show to watch in its place, I took to my laptop to find something new to watch on TED.com.  Obviously checking facebook first to see if anyone had sent me something important (not likely, but there's always hope), I saw that two of my girlfriends had linked to the same TED talk today...so naturally I clicked on their link to see what all the fuss was about.  It took me to a stunningly gorgeous piece of art, both visually and audibly, by Louie Schwartzberg on Nature, Beauty, and Gratitude.
As usual, after a TED talk that touches me deep inside my soul, I feel inspired and seek more inspiration and beauty, so I turn to "what to watch next", and there I clicked on another talk.  This talk, by Laura Trice, on saying 'thank you', was very short and sweet, but powerful.  One of the conversations, started in part by Laura Trice's talk, asked the following questions:
If you wrote 52 thank you cards (or emails, texts, blogposts, etc) a year to honour the ordinary, who would you write to and what would it be about?
How do you feel about incorporating Thankful Thursdays, to make it a habit to send one thank you out a week?
Again feeling inspired, and it coincidently being a Thursday, I decided I would start this weekly journey for myself.  
Every time I teach a yoga class I always ask my students before they leave to honour their body, their mind, and their breath.  It is a very powerful thing to honour these three amazing things that we very rarely do thank, whether because we just are not mindful enough to do so, or because we take them for granted.   
So today, on my first Thankful Thursday, I am going to start with doing what I do everyday, and thank my body for all that it accomplishes for me every single day, thank my mind for being as present as possible for me at every moment, and thank my breath for being aware and helping me consistently move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment