Sunday, July 4, 2010

Self-Kindness Sundays: Week 6 of 20

This weekend was another one spent relaxing in Daejeon, running outside whenever the rain stops. It's rainy season in Korea and therefore ridiculously difficult to make plans and expect them to happen, unless it's indoors.

So when plans to spend the weekend on the beach in Busan were cancelled due to a friendly forecast of rain all weekend, Sarah and I decided to do some shopping with baby Jinu and our friend Megan. In the evening we bathed Jinu, played with him, watched So You Think You Can Dance (our favourite show-Jinu imitates the dancers), put him to bed, and then watched a movie with the first baby-free time we had all day.

Sunday we packed a picnic lunch, and head for Sutonggol Valley in Daejeon. It's actually also a part of Gyeryongsan National Park, which meant it was my third or fourth visit to that beautiful park that I'm lucky enough to have in my city. We spent the day playing with Jinu in the river, snacking on delicious pear, cheese, crackers, tuna, and seaweed, drinking strawberry lattes, and enjoying some fresh air. We later cooked some curry and then treated ourselves to some frozen yogurt and 2 hours of free time at one of our favourite coffee shops.









The weekend was full of laughter, love, drinks, stressful moments a la Jinu, relaxing moments a la Jinu, fun, exploration, and friends. I feel strange saying this but I guess that's all part of this project, so I'll just spit it out...I recognized and admitted to myself that I am a good friend. I'm sure there are some that would disagree, but hell I'd likely feel the same about them right!?




There certainly are things that I have learned thus far in my life about friendship that I needed to change and did, and there are things that I am still in the process of altering for the better (namely keeping better contact when living in a far far away land), but I know that despite that I care. I care so much about my friends. Some people have told me I care too much. I cry when they cry. I feel stressed when they are stressed. I help out however I can, to the best of my ability. I am generous of my time, wisdom(or lack thereof), and of myself. I'm a good listener when ears are needed, and I'm a good clown when laughs are needed, and I'm a good mute when silent comfort is needed. I try my best to motivate my friends to reach their goals, support their dreams, and encourage them to know that they can do anything. Of course I'm human and I am so far from a perfect friend, but I'm a good one!

So Week 6: I love that I am a good friend.

Speaking of good friends...it happens to be the 26th Birthday of a very good friend by the name of Mary!

Mary, Sarah and I celebrated your birthday all day! We did a picnic lunch Mary style, played in the river with Jinu as we know you would have, and cheers-ed our green tea lattes in honour of your birthday.

Mary we love you and miss you, and hope you have a glorious 26th year!!


사랑해!!

Love,
Your July birthday sistahs

5 comments:

  1. You girls look so cute in your striped tank tops! I can say that you definitely have the qualities of a good friend and I'm going to be pissed when you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I for one am certainly appreciative of your friend-skills :), helping me to wash up when I am knee deep in dishes and diapers and snot balls, and watching Jinu so that I can get an hour of exercise in... not to mention many many conversations over jjigaes and love cookies and teas.

    Being a good friend is something we should all strive for. And you're right, nobody is a good friend to everyone - some people click and some don't, that's just the way it is.

    Thanks for sharing this weekend, and many others with me!

    And, I will massage your armpits with my toes or crush your pelvis anytime (wellness style of course... hehe).

    And, YES, happy birthday to one of my very best friend's on earth!!
    HAPPY DAY MAR!

    LOVINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the birthday message!

    Love, love, love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And truly, good friends are hard to come by! =)
    Great pics, I especially like the bubbles!

    Keep on being the great friend I'm sure you are, Meagan!

    ~Lee-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great weekend! Thanks for you comment, have a nice week in Korea (how exciting is this??)!!
    greetings from Switzerland, Kristina

    ReplyDelete