Monday, May 24, 2010

Is 20 the new magic number?

Once again answering the call of my sistah Sarah, I am joining her in a 20/20 Project. So here's the gist of it, Sarah has started on her quest to lose weight and feel great, dubbing it "20/20 Slim-Down Sundays". Then, Sarah extended out an invite for others to either join her on her Slim-Down Sundays or to create their own 20/20 project.

So I've been thinking a lot about what I could do for my 20/20 project, and quite frankly there are several projects that I want to and should undertake. I realize though, that if I overwhelm myself with too many self improvement projects than I'll probably end up not doing anything. So which one is most important to me to work on first...well after talking to Sarah about this quite a bit, and with "you're far too hard on yourself" ringing in my ears from multiple sources I decided that working on my self esteem and loving myself is paramount in my personal development.

If our thoughts create our reality, then mine is pretty bleak, and I certainly don't want my negative thoughts to become my reality.

So what do I do, where do I go from here?

Introducing a spin-off from Sarah's suggestion of "20 things you love about yourself"..."Self-Kindness Sundays". From my interpretation, Sarah intended for these projects to be a challenge, and a challenge this is! Like many people I find it hard to be nice to myself, but I'd venture to say that I am self hating. I don't just pick on myself, I beat myself up, rip myself apart, and cause immense amounts of stress (I should insert here, needlessly).

I also want to add being healthier to my quest of being kind to myself. I want to feel like Wonder Woman on my best AND worst days.

So here it is, for "Self-Kindness Sundays" I will:
  • list one thing a week for 20 weeks that I LOVE about myself. I'm going to really think, really listen to myself, work on things that I don't love about myself and hopefully add them to the list of things I do love along the way.
  • I will commit to scheduled, organized, workouts at least 3 times a week. I will be honest if I miss one...or two, and I will share what I'm doing and how its making me feel inside and out.
So as for the exercise, I start Hot Yoga tomorrow. It is something I did when I was at home and moving to Korea I was unable to find a place until now. It made me feel the best I've ever felt physically, and mentally, so it's the perfect fitness class for me to take in the context of this project.

And as for the first thing I love about myself...well check out the official Week 1 post!!

Thanks for the inspiration and insight Sarah. You are a remarkable woman, mother, sister, sistah, friend, teacher, writer, photographer, artist...etc.!!! I can't wait to see you at the end of the 20 weeks...how could you get any hotter? let's get real!

FIGHTING!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Wooowee! Thanks for joining in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, that may be the most terrifying picture of me. yikes.

    Hot yoga seems like a perfect pairing with your project.

    You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I officially Love how everyone (including Jinu) BUT Mary is eating a sugar cookie in that picture! WIN!

    ReplyDelete