Friday, May 7, 2010

Questions and answers

My sisters of spirit, Mary and Sarah, have started an outstanding creative project that has been opening my mind, heart and mouth. They are sharing their beautiful minds, and talents every week in A Perspective Project. Each week they have opposing pictures, whose inspiration is uniquely interpreted from two opposing words. Last week the theme was Order and Chaos, and it struck me on a deeply personal level.

Mary asked the question, "how does chaos creep into your life and what affect does it have on you?"



Well Mary, you asked so I shall answer.

Chaos creeps into every single aspect of my life and to be honest I enjoy it most of the time. The kind of chaos that leads you to a waterfall on the top of a mountain,






or the kind that pushes you to get the alone time you need and desire, but haven't had the balls to take for yourself, that leads you to explore a new nook or cranny, or a new angle or lighting for a photo.






Chaos is a sneaky bugger and for me, when things seem to be going great that's when it usually gets me. Like when my ducks are lining up in a neat and tidy row, or I find the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, a wolf comes along and chows down on my neat and tidy ducks, and a flash flood grabs the pot of gold with its grubby mitts and runs off into the sunset. Okay, so it's not all that bad, but I had to paint the picture more dramatically...for effect you see.

I'm sure that many people in my age group experience some social pressures, whether they are from family, friends, or society. The pressure and expectation of having a distinct career path, being well on the way to having a house, fancy car, lifelong partner, and being the proud owner of at least half of the millions of gadgets and gidgets available on the market today. And it's that push to conform to social norms and expectations that drives me to love and adore being disorderly in some aspects of my life. I don't want whoozits and whatzits galore; I want memories and experiences aplenty...that in my experience thus far do not present themselves in an entirely orderly and organized life.

Like I said, for the most part I enjoy the presence of Chaos in my life. However, I do despise it pushing its way in through the thing I care about above all else...family. I don't touch your family; I don't toy with their health and emotions, so Chaos I ask you, why do you play with mine? This is between you and me, so leave my family out of it. I suppose I can't put all the blame on you, but please throw us a bone once in a while.

Seriously though, I handle Chaos with regards to my family by expressing my love for them at every chance I get, and trying to remain clear headed and rational, which can sometimes be extremely difficult yet for me is necessary. I like to think that all other kinds of chaos in my life I deal with in such a way that I grab it by the horns, ride the wave, look for the rainbow, and allow myself to often have a bit of mud on the brain. I like to let it take me where it pleases, even if it means getting hurt along the way.

I see chaos as a driving factor in my life these days, leading me out of one chapter and into the next, usually whether I think I'm finished with the last chapter or not.

It's an adventure of epic proportions, it's an exploration of self, others, and far away places. Most of all it's a test of strength and character, will and fear, love and hope, laughter and tears, and of life.







"Chaos in the world brings uneasiness, but it also allows the opportunity for creativity and growth."
~ Tom Barrett


1 comment:

  1. Nice, I see you have some remodeling going on here! I'm glad that our little project has been a source of questions and answers. I hope there are many more to come!
    Here's to spring cleaning, revamping, rearranging of blogs and furniture, cleaning out of the dust bunnies in the corner, and achieving a little bit of order amongst the chaos.

    ReplyDelete