Monday, May 31, 2010

Self-Kindness Sundays: Week 1 of 20


This is Week 1 of my "Self-Kindness Sundays" (a day late!), a spin-off from Sarah's "Slim-Down Sundays", where I will list one thing every Sunday that I LOVE about myself.

So here is number 1:

I love that I wear my heart on my sleeve. (Both literally and figuratively)

It is something that can, has, and will get me hurt. It is something that I curse, loathe, and try to smother, hide, and tuck away into a small box. But try as I might, it is a part of me. As much as some people would dread it as I have in the past, I recognize that it can be a gift, and one day someone will love that part of me as much as I do.

I think as much as I love this trait, I also need to learn to control it in certain situations...but that's all part of my personal development isn't it? So it will come with time, but in the meantime I will love it, because after all it is a HUGE part of me.

6 comments:

  1. I've always agreed that there is no relationship more important than the one we have with ourselves.
    Kudos for recognizing that you (like so many) need to work on that relationship.
    Good luck to you in your journey =)

    ~Lee-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed Lee-Anne, who doesn't need to work and reflect on themselves?

    Meagan ~ you CAN do this! You can be kind to yourself, and learn about what works and what doesn't to better yourself, and therefore your relationships with the people who surround you.

    As another gal who can be unnecessarily critical of myself, I wish you great success on this journey.

    This one is ALL about you! And I am cheering for you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Meagan, I'm sending you all of Wallcot's amazing poem. Enjoy.

    The time will come
    when, with elation
    you will greet yourself arriving
    at your own door, in your own mirror
    and each will smile at the other's welcome,

    and say, sit here. Eat.
    You will love again the stranger who was your self.
    Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
    to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

    all your life, whom you ignored
    for another, who knows you by heart.
    Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

    the photographs, the desperate notes,
    peel your own image from the mirror.
    Sit. Feast on your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, what a beautiful poem.

    Meagan,I am so looking forward to reading about all of the 20 loveable things about you. Most of them I already know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is a fantastic poem... I look forward to that day too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, thank you for that poem. I'm going to write it down and frame it and hang it on my wall.
    Thanks :o)

    ReplyDelete