Saturday, December 3, 2011

Reverb11: Day 2


Day 2: My Children Will Do it Differently - If you could choose one thing that your children will do or experience in a different way than you have, what would it be and why?

This question is tough for me for two reasons: I don't have children, nor am I entirely certain I ever want to have children.  

My mum always says to my sister and I, "I just don't want you to make the same mistakes I did", and I feel like that's a bit of a shame.  I can understand the sentiment, and as much as I would love to have never had a broken heart for example, I feel like thats all part of living and without making mistakes, getting hurt, getting messy, we're just not participating in our own lives.  Mistakes shape our future, change our path, teach us lessons, and without all of the mistakes I've made I wouldn't be who I am today...and although not everyone would agree, I am a good person and I am happy with who I am for the most part. 

My point is that I can reflect on my life and experience and see situations that I wouldn't wish on anyone else, or events that I could have gone without, but I wouldn't wish for my children to not be faced with a particular situation or event because I feel as though I would be depriving them of their life.

Some may think I'm crazy, everyone who really knows me will for sure think I'm crazy, but I can't wish for my children to experience life in a different way than I have because I dove in head first, sometimes with a positive result, sometimes with a negative result, but always with a result, and I would want them to do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment