Thursday, December 8, 2011

Reverb11: Day 8 - elephants and babies and yoga oh my!


Day 8:  Joy - Take us back to a moment this year when you experienced pure, unadulterated joy.

A wash of calm and peace came over me when I read this question.  Thinking about all of the joys in my life, brings a smile to my face, and makes my heart feel lighter.  


I could list a few moments from this year where I felt joy, and last months I wrote about my "joy triggers", but I have to be honest first and say that I am uncertain that I have experienced pure joy.  I certainly have a lot of joy in my life, but as for overwhelming, powerful, profound joy, I have yet to experience.  I don't see that as a bad thing, I see it as a wonderful thing, as it simply means that I have this powerful joy to come, better things are heading my way.  I will continue to experience joy in all of its beauty, in its many different ways, and its many different levels.

In the yoga classes I teach, I always tell my students to open their hearts, open their arms, and open themselves to the gifts that life offers them, and when they do they are then able to receive joy.  Of course along with that, we can receive pain, we can be hurt, but I like to believe that the gift of joy, whenever it does come, far outweighs the hurt caused by opening our hearts.


The journey to being fully able to receive joy is a long one, but it is very worthwhile because we are all worthy of joy, we are all worthy of love, and happiness...our problem is that we don't know how to receive these wonderful gifts.  No matter what the reason is, we all at some point or another tend to be unable to receive compliments, gifts, and affection.  I know that I have been a culprit of this, but thankfully not consistently.   


Most recently, I have become an Auntie for the first time.  Looking at my niece, Rayah, brings me immense joy.  When she smiles at me my heart melts.  


Yoga brings me joy.  Teaching it.  Doing it.  Reading about it.  Writing about it. You name it, if it has to do with yoga and it brings me joy.  


Traveling brings me joy.  Meeting new people.  Going to new places.  Learning new things.  Having new adventures.  It is completely joyous, exciting, and expanding.


If I had to choose 1 moment, which I think is the point of this question, I would have to choose bathing an elephant in Luang Prabang, Laos.  Engaging in something so intimate with this amazing creature, was a true gift.  It was hilarious trying to stay on her back while she rolled around and played in the water.  It was a moment where I was completely present.  I had nothing else on my mind, and was living in the moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment